Sunday, December 21, 2014

DIY dog Crate Mat

DIY DOG CRATE MAT

So this weekend I was going to do a dog Christmas themed post about remaking old ugly Goodwill purchased sweaters into stockings and stuffing them with doggy themed Christmas presents... unfortunately... I went out for a couple hours and the pups had a field day devouring their Christmas presents early... so alas no stocking post for now. 

Instead I am going to do the post I had planned for January:
Over the summer we rescued a new pup:

And like all pups in my life housebreaking involved getting a kennel: We had one of those kennels with the pull out plastic bottoms for easy cleaning. These are great in theory, however I'm a softy and put the kennels in my room and I'm a light sleeper and every time he would roll over I would wake up. So I put a blanket in there with him to soften the noise, but he would get all tangled and upset.. see:  
upset pup!

And I'm sure he would look over to his roommate and see that our other pup Mitzi with her cool crate mat that I made her last year and he got jealous. See.. she's gloating...


So to make the mat you will need:
Thread
Sewing machine (or bionic hands.. either works)
Two layers of fleece the dimensions of the crate base
Quilt batting the dimensions of the crate base (I used the half inch thick kind because we live in Arizona and any thicker would be too hot to lay on)


Ok so step one was to cut out the fabric the size of the crate base:



So with the wrong sides facing out and the batting on top I sewed along the edges leaving about 6-8 inches on one side so I could flip it right side out. 



Then I closed off the hole by sewing the edges.


And from prior experience with Mitzi's mat I tacked each of the corners down so the material wouldn't shift after being washed. 


When its finished it looks something like this (cat not included)


Here it is in the crate: (notice the disgust in Mitzi's face that's she's not "special" anymore)


Now the following pics shows just how spoiled pets at my house are.. yes those are ergonomically correct memory foam pillows and yes he's tucked in




Until next time
Bre

No comments:

Post a Comment